Wednesday 7 July 2010

While My Guitar Gentile Weeps

OK, someone’s been cheating.

Since the publication of Navas What I Call Music, new suggestions for 2010 World Cup players in song titles have been literally trickling in. Some are posted on the original blog but others have been reaching me via other means. Among my favourites are Sneijders On The Storm, Mueller Kintyre and Iniesta-day.

However, a text arrived only this morning with an effort that’s in flagrant breach of the rules: Mrdja On Zidane’s Floor.

Clearly, the use of a player not appearing at South Africa 2010 bars this entry from inclusion. Shame on you, nameless person, for attempting to squeak it under the radar.

And yet. It does open up the possibility of an exciting new list. An all-time greats collection, featuring World Cup stars of yesteryear. Inspired by the shameful cheat, here are a few to get us started:

Murder On Zidane’s Floor
While My Guitar Gentile Weeps
Sweet Charlton Mine (we don’t normally do individual credits, but thanks to the missus for this one)
I Would Walk 500 Gemmills
Banks For The Memories
All I Need Is Vieira I Breathe
Little Green Baggio
Cry Me A Rivelino
Are You Cohen To Scarborough Fayre?
We’re Zoff To See The Wizard
The Future’s So Breitner I Gotta Wear Shades
Pele That Funky Music
When Eusebio Nothing At All
I Wish I Was A Little Bit Augenthaler

11 comments:

  1. It's like cheating at football and inventing Rugby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And to think I had just got my life back...
    You've got Stiles
    Give Pearce a chance
    What Becomes of the van Breukelen Hearted

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baby Baby I'm The Higuita Man
    Brehme-ful Of Asha
    Fly like a (Hans-Pieter) Briegel
    I've Got You Under Neeskens
    And....


    Whiskey In The Jairzinho
    Yrs
    TH

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Only Way Is Laudrup

    Yrs
    TH

    ReplyDelete
  6. Socrates Me
    Wark on The Wild Side
    Walk The Lineker

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Dahlin

    Life on Overmars

    Bouba Diop A Lula

    My Camara Never Lies

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm too Heskey for my Shirt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good work, everyone. Couple of others for old times' sake:

    Gullit The Dogs Out

    Reel Around The Fontaine

    Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bebeto

    ReplyDelete
  10. And how could I forget this gem from Rob:

    Waddle You Wanna Make Those Eyes At Me For?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Was the "post removed by author" anything to do with a German striker from Euro 96?
    Leads me to think about: Shake that Arce

    ReplyDelete